Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Genesis

Hello All and allow me to informally welcome you to the spectacular phenomenon that is Abby and Mackenzie's Platform One blog of the Ohio University persuasion. I (Abby) will frequently be posting my thoughts on the random and, most-often, insignificant happenings of my everyday life. I'm sure my partner in PG-crime will thrill you as well.
Despite being without a phone or any way to get into my place of residence , I somehow managed to couch-surf my way through the first weekend back here at OU. I always seem to be the freeloader, my friends the freeloadees. But it works out that way. In other words... the universe is in balance when I mooch.
On Monday Kenz and I went to a bar in Athens (Ohio, that is) called The Union. We wanted check out a band from Denton,Texas that had been featured in our school's student-run newspaper, "The Post". In the article the band, "Teenage Cool Kids", were quoted as playing "a mixture of indie rock, shoe gaze, and punk."
DEF: Shoegaze (according to UrbanDictionary) >A style of rock music that emerged in England in the late 80s that featured blisteringly loud and dreamily reverberated feedback.
(according to me) > when people gaze at their shoes.
I remember saying, "Yea, these guys are good, " but I don't know if that was me or the Blatz talking. It was all fun and games until a middle-aged man sporting a tight Metallica shirt, Zi-zi Top beard, and wedding band named Derrick decided to harrass us. Apparently what he called "pimping his band" included hanging around at other band's gigs and trying to con people into coming to his own. His band, "Without Bleeding Ears", was allegedly scheduled to play the following night, however the owner of the bar begged to differ. Luckily the Teenage Cool Kids were just that (minus the teenage). They came over after their set and tried their darndest to save us from Metallica Man. After he challenged all 8 of us to punch him in the face, we decided to call it a night. They went off to tour the country and we went back to our dorms. Oh the simple life.

No comments:

Post a Comment